From: Mike Ferguson <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Sent: Friday, February 8, 2019 8:15 PM
Below are local actions to take and UPDATED INFO for events on the Olympic Peninsula to ensure the Green New Deal gets the support it needs.
The plan to pass the Green New Deal starts now! From today until Sunday, February 10, we need you to tweet, call, and email our Senators and Representatives relentlessly to demand they back Rep. Ocasio-Cortez & Senator Markey’s Joint Resolution for a Green New Deal. Pramila Jayapal has already signed on, but all other WA representatives need to join her. We want to make some noise, so please sign on & share this petition with your friends. We will be loud and heard! Go to sunrisemovement.org/call for an easy tool to use.
Then from February 11-13, plan to visit your representative’s office. You can go on your own or bring a friend. Ask them to cosponsor the Green New Deal Resolution. During this time, continue calling, tweeting, and emailing to ramp up the pressure.
The deadline for them to sign on is February 26! If they still haven’t co-sponsored or supported the resolution by then, we’ll unite for a National Day of Action, storming into offices, singing, dropping banners, rallying outside their offices and making it clear that we will hold them accountable to taking action on climate change and the Green New Deal.
❄️⛄ IF WEATHER PREVENTS YOU FROM JOINING AN OFFICE VISIT, PLEASE COMMIT TO CALLING, EMAILING, TWEETING AND RECRUITING AS MANY PEOPLE AS YOU CAN TO DO THE SAME ⛄❄️
Here are the details for local actions:
1) February 6-10: Make our demand clear! Call, tweet, and email our elected representatives relentlessly, demanding they support Ocasio-Cortez & Markey’s joint resolution for a Green New Deal.
Write a letter:
Below are some talking points for our Letters to our Representatives. We need to have a strategic, unified message, but each letter will be as unique as we are. When legislative assistants review these letters before delivering them to elected officials, it is far better that they read one hundred personal letters that must be read individually than a single document co-signed by five hundred individuals. A simplified message will be easier for the aides to process.
Send an email:
It has been suggested to type “Co-Sponsor The Green New Deal Resolution” in the subject line, since our emails to legislators are processed through computer programs and this is a way to be clear about what we are asking.
Derek Kilmer: https://kilmer.house.gov/contact/email-me
Patty Murray: https://www.murray.senate.gov/public/index.cfm/contactme
Maria Cantwell: https://www.cantwell.senate.gov/contact/email
Make a phone call:
The Sunrise Movement has create a very handy function that plugs your phone directly into the phone lines of our Senators and Representative. All you have to do is enter your info and it calls your phone, connecting you to each office. So, answer your phone, follow the simple directions and leave your message for each office.
Detailed contact info for legislators:
For more extensive contact info for our Federal Legislators, use the following link. Simple put in your zip code and detailed info will pop up. If you are planning a visit that has not been organized call the office to make sure you find a time they are open.
2) February 10 – 11: There are 2 letter-writing parties planned on the Peninsula; bring a friend and a pen!
Port Angeles Letter Writing Party:
When: Sunday, February 10 at 5:00 pm
How: RSVP HERE!
Port Townsend Letter Writing Party:
When: Monday, February 11th at 5:00 – 7:00 pm
Where: Bazaar Girls Yarn Shop, 126 Quincy Street in Port Townsend
How: FACEBOOK RSVP
3) February 12-13: It’s time to show up! Visit your Senators’ and Representatives’ offices and ask them to cosponsor the Green New Deal Resolution. Then, keep the pressure high by getting more and more people to call, tweet and show up in person. We will be organizing a large letter delivery event. One of the most impactful things we can do is to march into our Representatives’ offices and deliver the letters ourselves.
Derek Kilmer Office Visit (Port Angeles)
When: February 12, 10:30 AM
Where: 332 E 5th Street, Port Angeles
Event Link: Derek Kilmer Office Visit
Carpool Page: http://www.groupcarpool.com/t/m5bja6
Derek Kilmer Office Visit (Tacoma)
When: February 13, 3:00 PM
Where: 950 Pacific Avenue Suite 1230, Tacoma
Carpool Page: https://www.groupcarpool.com/t/irkh90
*There are more Green New Deal office visits and actions listed here: https://www.sunrisemovement.org/gnd/. Scroll to the bottom of the page and type in your zip code to find addition events near you.
4) February 26: All across the country, we’ll be storming into offices, chanting, dropping banners, rallying outside and making it clear that young people are ready to hold our politicians’ feet to the fire. This will be a political earthquake; forcing elected officials to think twice before they refuse to back the Green New Deal.
*We will send updates about the February 26 actions when information is available.
Tips to effective outreach: Make sure when you contact your representatives, that you state your address. It holds more weight than just saying “I live in Port Angeles/etc.” Call each of their offices, field offices as well as at the DC office. Call, email, and tweet every day. We cannot overstate how impactful this will be.
- Sunrise movement website
- Vox’s Green New Deal explained (Super informative!)
- Why we need a Green New Deal now
- Nice article about the kind of world we could leave the next generation if the GND is implemented
If you have any questions or suggestions, I will be making myself available all the way through the Green New Deal campaign, so feel free to reach out. If you want to help organize, that would be wonderful. I’m happy to help you plug in!
Please do forward this email to local groups and connections that you have. SPREAD THE WORD!
Mike Ferguson, Hub Coordinator