Some sources of information and action:
Local climate-change references
- Planning for Climate Change on the North Olympic Peninsula grant project
- Climate Change Database for NOP – from the above project
- Projected impacts on streams – UW Climate Impacts Group
- Projected sea-level rise in Clallam County – Ian Miller, WA Sea Grant
- Wildfire impacts of climate change – Bob Lynette, OCA member
- Water supply concerns (draft) – Ann Soule, OCA member
- Olympic National Forest & Park study of climate adaptation needs
- Olympic Peninsula glacial recession
- Olympic Coast National Marine Sanctuary climate change study
- Ocean acidification in the Pacific Northwest
- Jamestown S’Klallam Tribe study of climate impacts and adaptation
- Clallam County:
- City of Sequim Sustainability Resolution
- Jefferson County/Port Townsend Climate Action Committee
- Local 20/20 Climate Action Group, part of a grassroots Port Townsend group
Regional climate-change references
- Q&A from the League of Women Voters of WA
- Washington State Climate Policy Group: Excellent starting point for a layperson, including this summary report on Washington State’s Integrated Climate Response Strategy
- University of Washington Climate Impacts Group: Compendium of science, analysis, and news about climate change, focusing on WA state, including Climate Change Impacts and Adaptation in Washington State: Technical Summaries for Decision Makers and this summary of expected impacts. State of Knowledge: Climate Change in Puget Sound is a comprehensive synthesis report summarizing relevant research on the likely effects of climate change on the lands, water, and people of the Puget Sound region.
- National Climate Assessment Regional Reports, including Chapter 21, Northwest
- Climate Change Effects & Adaptation Approaches in Marine & Coastal Ecosystems of the North Pacific Landscape Conservation Cooperative Region: Executive Summary
- Sightline Institute: researches best practices in public policy for a sustainable Northwest. Good analyses of proposed coal ports, etc.
- Municipal Research & Services Center of WA: information on climate science and policy, focused for local governments.
- Seattle Times series on ocean acidification.
- EarthFix: Great environmental news source for the Puget Sound area. Check out their series on climate change & human health.
National/international climate-action organizations
- 350.org. Founded by Bill McKibben, 350 represents the number of parts per million of carbon that the atmosphere can hold without a catastrophic degree of climate change; we are already beyond this threshold and need to get back below it as fast as we can.
- Climate Reality Project. Al Gore has tirelessly put together the pieces to explain the causes, effects, and prevention of climate change, and OCA has been trained to give Al’s slide show.
- Citizens Climate Lobby is a national group advocating for a carbon fee-and-dividend. OCA has endorsed CCL and established a chapter in Clallam County.
- U.S. Climate Action Network. National network of groups (including OCA) working on climate issues; part of Climate Action Network International.
Science of climate change
- National Climate Assessment: latest summary for the nation & the regions
- Climate science summarized by the National Academies of Science & Royal Society
- Summary of climate risks from the American Academy for the Advancement of Science
- Extreme weather risks, from Union of Concerned Scientists
- NASA: Global Climate Change, Vital Signs of the Planet
- Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change Fifth Assessment Report (United Nations):
- Skeptical Science explains what peer-reviewed science has to say
- Hitchhiker’s Guide to Climate Change, 2-page graphic by Ned Hammar of OCA
- Global warming explained in a 2-minute video (or try the 5-min. “long” version)
- Global warming explained in Q&A format
- Climate research 1-page summary
- Global temperatures since the last Ice Age, in one looong cartoon strip
- What’s really warming the world?–series of graphs showing relative contributions
- Direct info from a group of climate scientists: RealClimate.com
- Great summary about climate change by HVAC contractor Roscoe Brown
- Public health impacts: podcast & article
- Teaching Resources on Climate and Energy
The path to a sustainable human society
- How to Reduce Your–and Our–Carbon Footprint
- Local Planning for Climate Change from the United Nations
- Climate Resilience Tool Kit from NOAA
- How WA State can transition to 100% renewable energy for ALL of its needs
- Bright Future: How to reduce NW energy needs, cut carbon, and restore salmon
- Climate Solutions: Pointing the way to a new clean-energy economy
- Sustainable World Sourcebook and Engagement Circles Convener Guide
- OCA paper on sustainable jobs
- Bill Moyers’ TV programs on climate change
- Carbon tax-and-dividend will cut carbon, add jobs
- Sightline Institute describes how carbon taxes work in five charts
- Carbon Pricing and Northwest Businesses
- Climate Justice Field Manual – how to get there from here!
If you have links to suggest, please contact us.
“If climate is what to expect and weather is what you get, climate change is when you’re surprised.” — Elton Homan, OCA member