Every Friday at noon at the downtown fountain
#FridaysForFuture is a movement that began in August 2018, after 15-year-old Greta Thunberg sat in front of the Swedish parliament every school day for three weeks, to protest the lack of action on the climate crisis. She posted what she was doing on Instagram and Twitter and it soon went viral.
Greta decided to continue striking every Friday until Swedish policies provided a safe pathway to well below 2 degrees C, in line with the Paris agreement. Millions of people around the globe have joined Greta, committing to strike every Friday until real action is taken to halt our carbon output.
In Port Angeles, in solidarity with this movement, we will be striking from noon-1 every Friday in front of the downtown fountain (First and Laurel Streets). We invite all to come join this international movement and add a presence and voice to our town and to the global consciousness around climate change.
Things to consider from the FridaysForFuture.org website
- Fridaysforfuture want you to only strike in a way, that you feel safe with.
- Many Fridaysforfuture strikers have a police approval for their strike.
- It is common for these approvals to only allow a quiet, sitting protest.
- A. ARZ: ActivismRiskZone is a working group aiming to support activism in risk zones. Use #ARZ_helps if a minor Human Rights violation occurs and you would like to lift awareness
B. Fridaysforfuture are unlikely to be able to provide legal support if there are problems, so FFF advises strikers to liaise with local Non Government Organisations and email Arz@fridaysforfuture.org. These NGOs, for example, Amnesty, Greenpeace, 350, WWF, usually know local lawyers, who are well versed in protest situations.
C. Recommended reading for ActivismRiskZone
- We are a peaceful and quiet striking organisation, but unfortunately we have already seen examples in some countries, where some individuals or organisations try to join a strike for the purpose of causing trouble. Please take care and prioritise your own safety.
- Fridaysforfuture recommends that all strikers at risk use anonymous style emails if you would like to be contactable from the map, e.g. FFF_happystriker@gmail.com
What is Fridays For Future?
#FridaysforFuture is a peoples movement following the call from @GretaThunberg to school strike.
Why are kids striking?
School children are required to attend school. But with the worsening Climate Destruction this goal of going to school begins to be pointless.
– Why study for a future, which may not be there?
– Why spend a lot of effort to become educated, when our governments are not listening to the educated?
The basics on how/when/where to strike
Greta requests that people strike infront of their closest town hall, every friday. With a sign, take a picture and post it with the hashtags
How supporters can support
Many people do not think they can strike, i.e. they are worried about their school grades. The Belgium schools all used clocks which then ‘struck’ and then took a picture and this was there method to strike on November 30. Other groups have other ways to find a way to strike, even churches have their bells strike! Some empathy strike. All support is welcome.
If you post your work with the hashtag #FridaysForFuture and #ClimateStrike we will be able to find and share your excellent work.