Now, here’s what we can do about getting it passed . . .
Hello everyone, thank you so much for endorsing the Fracking Ban Act introduced by Senator Sanders and Representative Ocasio-Cortez! My name is Thomas, I’m the National Climate Organizing Manager at Food & Water Action and I’ll be sharing update on the bill via this list.
This morning, we publicly released the letter with over 570 organizations signed on in support of the bill. The letter will remain open throughout the year, but is an incredible show of strength just two weeks after the bill was first introduced. Here are a few materials to share and promote:
- Press release
- Formatted letter with full list of signers
- Tweet from FWW
- Tweet and story from Common Dreams
Now our focus turns to getting more co-sponsors on the bill! We drafted a short email to send to district staff, which I’ve pasted below. If you can do one thing to support the bill this week, please send a message to any contacts at Congressional offices sharing the letter and asking them to co-sponsor the bill.
Let me know if you have any questions or ideas, and thanks again for your hard work and support!
Thomas Meyer, National Climate Organizing Manager
(He/Him) | Cell: 360-460-7397
Food & Water Action and Food & Water Watch
I am writing to ask Rep. _____ to co-sponsor HR 5857, the Fracking Ban Act introduced by Representative Ocasio-Cortez and Representative Soto. I have also attached a letter signed by over 570 national, regional, and local organizations supporting this legislation, including Climate Justice Alliance, Democracy for America, Indigenous Environmental Network, MoveOn, People’s Action, Progressive Democrats of America, Sierra Club, Sunrise Movement, and WE ACT for Environmental Justice.
This bill takes several critical steps to protect our climate, water, and health from the impacts of fracking and to implement a fair and just transition to a renewable energy economy.
- Prohibits all federal agencies from issuing permits for new fracking or fracking infrastructure, including pipelines, liquefied natural gas or oil export terminals, natural gas storage, ethane cracker plants, natural gas power generation plants, or other infrastructure intended to extract, transport, or burn natural gas or oil.
- Revokes permits for current fracking wells within 2,500 ft of homes, schools, or other inhabited structures.
- Establishes a multi-agency, multi-stakeholder Just Transition Committee, led by the Department of Labor, to develop recommendations to ensure the health and prosperity of natural gas and oil producing regions.
- Bans the practice of fracking nationwide beginning January 1, 2025.
I hope Rep. ______ will quickly co-sponsor HR 5857. Please be in touch if you have any questions. Thank you for your consideration!
One Reply to “OCA has Endorsed the National Fracking Ban Act”
Comments are closed.