A message from The US Climate Strike Coalition
On July 20th, we are mobilizing in solidarity with the S.E.I.U and the Movement for Black Lives in order to present a united front against injustice a month out from the Democratic National Convention. As environmental organizers, it is our responsibility to put action behind the phrase “Climate justice is racial justice.” Climate strikes in the past have done a fantastic job of worldwide attention. We must show the world that movements for justice are in unanimous agreement: Black Lives Matter and we will not stop until both our leadership, policy, legal systems, workplaces, and schools reflect this truth. On July 20th, we strike for these four demands:
- Justice for Black communities, with an unequivocal declaration that Black Lives Matter.
- Elected officials and candidates at every level must use their executive, legislative, and regulatory authority to ensure the safety of voters and workers given the pandemic.
- Corporations must take immediate action to dismantle racism, white supremacy, and economic exploitation wherever it exists, including in our workplaces.
- Every worker must have the opportunity to form a union, no matter where they work.
Find or host an event here
We’ve compiled resources for you to take action on Monday, linked below.
Kickoff call deck, recording.
How you can get involved on July 20th:
- Take the 8:46 Pledge.
- Host an event (in-person or digital). Events can include strikes, walk-offs, protests, digital events such as teach-ins, workshops and webinars and make sure to encourage attendees to register to vote in November!
- Apply for funding from the Youth Direct Action Fund to support your event.
- Attend an event in your area.
- Help promote the event on social media and through your email lists.
- Read the Black Leadership Toolkit to make sure your allyship is authentic and representative of the US Climate Strike Coalition’s theory of change.
- Attend office hours for more support.
- Tue, July 14th @ 7pm EST
- Wed, July 15th @ 9pm EST
- Thurs, July 16th @ 7pm EST
The US Climate Strike Coalition