Below is a letter that arrived at our house from Governor Jay Inslee today.
With the Washington Climate Assembly, the Governor and many groups lobbying our legislature this year, we may get them to take some meaningful action. — Michael Clemens
Bold climate action can’t wait. I wanted to share with you our plan that we’ll be aggressively pursuing during next year’s legislative session in Washington.
We need to put environmental justice and equity at the forefront of our climate policy, and that’s exactly what our plan does.
Our legislative and budget proposals would create a bold climate program to make sure Washington state meets our climate goals:
- Establish a Clean Fuel Standard, which reduces transportation pollution through electrification of cleaner fuels for ferries, transit, and passenger vehicles.
- Pass the Climate Commitment Act, which caps statewide greenhouse gas emissions and invests in clean energy, transportation, and climate resilience projects, and funds part of the Working Families Tax Credit.
- Pass the Healthy Homes and Clean Buildings Act, which requires new buildings to use carbon-free space and water heating by 2030, and puts the state on a pathway to fully decarbonize existing buildings by 2050.
- Require an environmental justice assessment for all climate-related investments, and create an Environmental Justice and Equity Advisory Panel to analyze how climate investments impact those most vulnerable to climate change.
- Invest $428 million in clean transportation, clean buildings, and clean energy projects.
Climate change is an existential threat. But, fighting climate change is also an opportunity to support good-paying jobs, make our infrastructure cleaner and more resilient, and invest in our communities to ensure a more equitable future for our kids and grandkids.
This might feel like a lot of work to do in one legislative session, but we can’t afford to wait. Will you join me in supporting bold action on climate in Olympia this year? If you want to get started, share the news about our budget and policy proposals with your friends and family on Facebook right now.
As we get to work next year, we’ll keep you updated on our work — thanks for supporting bold proposals and progressive plans. I can’t wait to see what we can accomplish together.
Very truly yours,